Wednesday, July 12, 2006

My brain made me do it.

I have recently been exposed to some new tools for understanding how the brain works. This is the whole reason that I got into advertising in the first place: wanting to understand how creativity reacts with a human brain and why people do stuff. To give a quick history, my interest and research into this line of thinking started with reading much of the works of Edward De Bono, the self proclaimed pioneer and leader of Lateral Thinking. De Bono is famous for the 'Six thinking hats', 'Serious Creativity', 'Lateral Thinking' and many others. All of which have added much value to my thinking ability. Just do a Google search, this guy has alot to offer.


My recent search for more resources and more understanding led me to Dr. G. Clotaire Rapaille, an internationally known expert in Archetype Discoveries and Creativity. I went in search of him after catching TV program that if I recall correctly was called the Persuaders, in it a group of FMCG companies visit his French mansion, pay a large sum and leave with a couple of carefully uncovered truths he calls Codes. These secrets to connecting with your target on the emotional level are then the basis of brand and communication activity for the brand or company in question.

I found these resources helpful, and have inspired me to integrate these kinds of operations into any and all projects I take on.


The Persuaders - Frontline Interview with Dr Rapaille.

How he sells coffee - there maybe something in here for Starbucks and Gloria Jeans

http://www.rapailleinstitute.com/
http://www.neuromarketinginc.com/

Great Report via CQM online Journal, about Dr Rapaille's work specifically applied to management and leadership. PDF- right click and 'save target as'.


Most recently I was lucky enough to see a presentation that included even more information and techniques to understand the human brain. An expert who works with Herrmann, in particular the Herrmann Brain Dominance Instrument (HBDI).

The concepts covered in the Herrmann session are primarily for use in one-on-one situations and for effective leadership and management. That doesn't mean they are not of any value in futher understanding people that form communities and groups aswell.

Here are some snapshots of the concept.

The 4 sectors of the brain work in different ways, and usually an individual will have a noticable preference to one sector.

Here are some fantastic products you can purchase to assist with understanding the 4 part- whole brain concept.

The below should raise your interest but they are certainly not self explanatory, but give an overview of the 4 main character preferences.





No comments: